It’s our job as pet owners to make sure we find the best flea and tick solutions for our pets during the summer months as that’s when they prevalent.
I’m sure you’ve checked out the over the counter brands like K-9 Advantix or Frontline or whatever your vet has recommended.
Are you sure they are safe? Do they contain harmful chemicals that are linked to cancer, allergies and asthma?
You’ll see both Frontline and Advantix contain toxic chemicals and should be used “sparingly” because of this. If they can hurt our pets, they can also hurt our families. It’s best to avoid such products.
Let’s look at some safer, natural solutions for flea and tick prevention.
1. Regular combing with a flea comb, bathing and vacuuming can reduce and control fleas.
2. Keep your pets out of areas where ticks are prevalent – – long grass and trees.
3. Vacuuming – Vacuuming picks up fleas and eggs from carpets, floors and crevices and from under or on furniture. Immediately after vacuuming, throw vacuum bags away to prevent fleas from escaping and reinfesting your home. Severe infestations may require professional carpet cleaning with steam.
4. The best essential oils to add to your pet’s shampoo are: Herbal or natural products that contain cedarwood, lemongrass, peppermint, rosemary and thyme are probably safer.
So give these methods a try. Not only will your best friend smell great, but they will be a lot happier!
In other NEWS:
- Greenkick.ca is in the press! Check out this shout out from Sequoia Homes.
- COMING SOON: Check out Greenkick. ca monthly at www.Macaronikid.com! A great new website about what to do with the family in the lower mainland.
- New waste collection program for Surrey starts Oct. 1