I love fashion, design and pretty things. It’s true. And I also like well made, sustainable pretty things. So when I found Hemosa Beach, California based, MIXT STUDIO‘s unique line of eco products, I couldn’t wait to share them with you!
I’m always searching for unique items for my home and great gift ideas. And I do tend to treat myself every now and again with a new bag. I try my best to only buy consignment, but I couldn’t resist Mixt’s line of reversible totes recently featured on The Today Show. Mixt has not only great ‘mom’ gifts, but fabulous items for babies and kids!
I’d like you to meet the owner of MIXT STUDIO, Marcie Carson.
1. Hi Marcie, can you tell me in a few sentences what the focus of your business is? MIXT Studio is an eco-eclectic line of paper and gift goods. Our wild mix of design-conscious goods and patterns is intentional (thus the name). We produce ECO-FRIENDLY products in HERMOSA BEACH, CALIFORNIA with lots of TLC and low-impact practices. We also LOVE TO DESIGN things that are functional as well as meaningful. In other words, we are a lifestyle brand — focused on creating moments of INSPIRED LIVING.
2. Who is your target market? Trend-setting women, 25-55yrs., who appreciate good design and eco-friendly manufacturing practices.
3. How long have you been in business? We just celebrated our one-year anniversary.
4. Why did you start this business? After 16 years as the founding Creative Director of a leading graphic design firm, IE Design + Communications, Marcie Carson launched her own line of limited edition paper and gift goods. “I was helping companies like Mattel, Getty, USC, and Dole to build their brands,” says Marcie (who has appeared in countless books on design and was recently featured in Entrepreneur magazine), “but I began to feel the need to do it for myself — build a consumer brand that I could have a bit more ownership in.” Plus, the self-proclaimed “paperista” was missing the tactile experience of working with paper since her firm is currently three-quarters digital media.
After several months of research, Marcie and her team of designers decided to produce all of their goods in the United States on recycled newsprint and remnant paper stock that they save from the ill-fated trashcan. They also started working closely with printers to gang print items in an effort to eliminate waste. This method of production insured that the resulting aesthetic would be a slightly bonkers mash-up of textures, colors and, ultimately, patterns. As a result, Marcie chose the name MIXT Studio.
5. How do you think your eco business has or will impact your community or is helping people leave less of a footprint on our planet? Our best-selling Reusable Wine Bags have a bit of a community cult following. Locals have been sharing them and talking about them a lot lately. I love hearing all of the stories! One gal initiated the first “giving” on our traveling tag (where you fill out to, from, event and date), then she received it back on the fifth and last giving space — she was able to see all the friends that had received it and passed it on. Like it says on the tag: “Friends Celebrated.” But even better, each time the bag gets reused, that’s one less paper bag that ends up in a trash can.
6. Do you have a special promotion going on right now? Can our Greenkick readers get a special discount if they order from you after reading this article? 20% Off entire site if Greenkick readers use this code: Take20
7. Is there anything else you want to include? People have told me that “MIXT Studio makes them happy.” It doesn’t get any better than that!
Marcie sent me a sample of the Reusable Wine Bags and a Reversible Tote Bag. Made of recyclable Tyvek (durable synthetic fibers), these bags are not only attractive, but are very strong and machine washable. I really like the bag’s design both inside and out. And let’s not forget it’s reversible so it’s as if you have two bags instead of one.
The wine bag is something I’ve never seen before. With this bag, you can ‘pay it forward’ and in the process see the bag’s past as there are five event notices on it. I can see why it’s one of Mixt’s most popular items.
I love that the tags says “the products are made with lots of TLC and low impact practices. Embrace the imperfection.”
These eco bags are made with heart and the planet in mind. They are affordable and would make great gifts for anyone on your shopping list.
Here’s your chance to
WIN a GIFT ITEM from MIXT STUDIO
Open to Canada and U.S. only