Babies and diapers go hand in hand. If you’ve got a baby, you’re got a LOT of diapers!
How many of you used CLOTH DIAPERS?
I did for both of my kids for the first year. I’m so glad I did!
After I read the startling statistics, I just COULDN’T ADD to the already BIG problem of how many DISPOSABLE DIAPERS fill up the landfills!
What is the ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT of A YEAR IN DISPOSABLE DIAPERS?
To make ONE YEAR of diapers for ONE BABY, you need:
- 300lbs of wood
- 50lbs of petroleum feedstocks
- 20lbs of chlorine
- 286 pounds of plastics
MORE INTERESTING FACTS about DISPOSABLE DIAPERS:
- 250-500 years: That’s how long it takes a “disposable” diaper to decompose in a landfill
- 1-2 tons: That’s how much waste each child in “disposable” diapers sends to the landfill in two years.
- 4,000,000: How many diapers are tossed into landfills every day in Canada.
- 2.5%: Of the waste in our landfills is from “disposable” diapers.
Sad isn’t it? Yes disposables are CONVENIENT, EASY and FAST, but if you’re HOME with the little one all the time, why NOT use CLOTH?
As my kids got older and we started to travel more, the disposable diapers had more of a purpose.
But if you’re at home for that first year, I ask that you strongly consider… CLOTH DIAPERS!
I’ve done the homework for you….
This post includes:
- A Cloth Diaper company where you can PURCHASE Cloth Diapers
- a Cloth Diaper Service
PURCHASE CLOTH DIAPERS:
Meet Sara of Green BumBum. She owns this Vancouver based online diaper store. Her store has TONS of great diaper products to choose from.
Don’t you LOVE the name? Here’s my interview with Sara.
1. Can you tell me in a few sentences what the focus of your business is? The focus of GreenBumBum is to provide modern day reusable diapers & accessories to families who are looking for options other than disposables.
2. Who is your market? Our market are parents who have children in diapers and are passionate about finding an eco friendly option.
3. How long have you been in business and why did you start your business? We launched Jan 2, 2010. I started this business because I truly believe cloth diapers are a better option for our children and the environment, not to mention saving money! Each child goes through thousands of diaper change before he/she is potty trained. Over 90% of disposable diapers end up in landfills and it is estimated that it takes 250-500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose. We don’t know exactly how long it would take for it to decompose because none of us has ever seen one decompose in our life time, yet!
4. How do you think your eco business has or will impact your community or is helping people leave less of a footprint on our planet? By switching to reusable diapers, households can reduce their garbage output by up to 50%. Each year hundreds of millions of dollars are spent just to discard disposable diapers. Studies have shown over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby EACH YEAR. By encouraging parents to switch to reusable diapers is an important step in buildling a more sustainable community and a future for our children.
5. Do you have a special promotion going on right now? Can our Greenkick readers get a special discount if they order from you after reading this article? YES! Use code “greenkick” to take 10% off all regular priced items at GreenBumBum.
Makes me wish I had little ones again so I could buy some of those adorable diapers!
Don’t want to BUY cloth diapers?
Then HIRE A CLOTH DIAPER SERVICE!
Meet Julie and Nichole of Happy Baby Cheeks.ca
A diaper service! We used a diaper service when our kids were little and let me tell you.. not having to deal with washing the diapers was such a “luxury”.
1. Can you tell me in a few sentences what the focus of your business is? Our Mission is to provide you with a cloth diaper service that fits your busy lifestyle. We aim to supply a superior product that works for all families while keeping the well-being of our environment in mind.
2. Who is your market? Any little Bum that doesn’t want to be in chemical filled disposable diapers.
3. How long have you been in business? We have been operating for over 5 years now, we changed our name to Happy Baby Cheeks in February of 2013.
4. Why did you start this business? My business partners son could not wear disposables, she approached me to be her business partner and the rest is history.
5. How do you think your eco business has or will impact your community or is helping people leave less of a footprint on our planet? 1/3 or our landfills are disposable diapers. Even for those washing at home, we use 1/4 of the electricity and water washing with industrial machines. Either diapering method, our cloth diaper service is a lot easier on our environment, keeps a significant number of harmful chemicals out of our landfills.
6. Do you have a special promotion going on right now? Can our Greenkick readers get a special discount if they order from you after reading this article? Any Greenkick reader will receive 10% off their service for 12 weeks.
6. Is there anything else you want to include? Please check out our website, www.happybabycheeks.ca, we have a lot of great info on there.
So there you have it… 2 affordable eco-friendly DIAPER options!
Please consider these over disposable diapers. Our planet thanks you.
Open to Canada and U.S. only
Open to Lower Mainland B.C. residents only